In the academic article titled War or War? by Frederic Solop, and Kristi Hagan - both writers examine the after math of September 11th and its influence on public polling. Essentially the authors describe the major flaws of questionnaire design during periods of disasters, or national security threats. The news organizations and pollsters neglected to mention one side of the issue. This skews the projected views of those being polled.
These authors raise a good issue that often gets over looked in very hot topic issues. These polls tend have problems with balanced questionnaire design, nonattitudes, and insincere responses. I will have to keep this article in mind when making my own poll regarding Illegal Drugs. Because my focus has been about Marijuana legalization, I will need to create the type of questions that fairly represent both sides. In addition, the questions should also allow respondents to answer the questions with an "I don't know" or "No Opinion." to try to solve issues of insincere respondents.
I feel you on your question. I would give the options: Yes, No , Decline to answer. I am pretty sure that the people that truly believe in the legalization of marijuana will not be afraid to share their stance.
ReplyDelete