Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What a surprise... drug use is on the rise!

According to the Daily Vidette Newspaper, drug use is on the rise and marijuana is still the most commonly used throughout the United States. An article by Nick Williams indicates that "marijuana use has increased 8 percent over the past year..." this is by no means a surprise. However what was interesting from this article was information about why marijuana use is on the rise, and in a place that is very near and dear to my heart - Illinois State University.

Suzette Zompetti, community rights and responsibilities coordinator in the Dean of Student Office is quoted in the Vidette saying, "Many people believe if the drug is okay for medicinal purposes, then it must be okay for recreational use." Zompetti goes on to say, "A misconception about the nature of medicinal marijuana could contribute to the lack of understanding about the effects of THC, the active chemical in marijuana." however I must disagree with this statement. In fact I believe there are a number of other reasons why people use marijuana including family history, peer-pressure, school environment, and so forth.. but none of these are mentioned. Why is there no polling information about "Why individuals use marijuana?" This is an essential question that is over looked by polling firms, and drug awareness programs.

4 comments:

  1. It would be quite easy to see why they use it with a standard poll. I have read that many student believe it is less dangerous than other drugs but they also believe that it is better to consume marijuana that consume alcohol. I am surprised that there hasn't been a poll about the reasoning behind usage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think the answer to your question would be in many cases, "feels good, bro"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe people just don't ask that question because they just assume it's to get high. Obviously, ignorant.

    I mean, it's funny that the article said: "Many people believe if the drug is okay for medicinal purposes, then it must be okay for recreational use." The article makes it sound like using marijuana for recreational uses is a negative thing. It puts a negative context on it. Would a medicinal purpose be considered a women on her period? lol. I saw a Jerry Springer dating show called "Baggage", where one girl got a medicinal marijuana prescription because she was always in a bad mood around that time of the month...Uhh really?

    Do you think that the majority of people with medicinal marijuana prescriptions abuse the drug? By abuse, I mean "fake a medical condition" to receive the prescription?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the reason people don't ask about why people smoke marijuana is because they think that it is not a big deal, and is just as dangerous as drinking or smoking cigarettes. Obviously people smoke marijuana for a majority of reason either just to get high, or for medical reasons, but I think that because people do not really see it as that dangerous or big of a deal, they don't really care what their reason is.

    ReplyDelete